Did you know that it costs roughly $1.4 million to recover from a cyberattack? The cost of lost productivity, damage to your practice’s reputation, and service disruption, among other expenses, add up quickly(1). Responding to cyber incidents can be time-consuming too, depleting resources and taking your focus away from patient care.
Data transmission permeates the healthcare industry. While we assume the obvious data breach potential occurs when transmitting PHI (protected health information) data from one provider to another (physician to hospital, for example), even seemingly innocuous DME (durable medical equipment), such as insulin pumps, pacemakers, and infusion pumps, carry the threat of data theft and exposure(2).
CARE Professional Liability Association offers liability policies to protect policyholders against evolving cyber threats. A cyber liability policy covers many aspects of potential risk(3):
- Privacy or security breach mitigation, including the cost to provide 12 months of credit monitoring and identity restoration services to affected individuals
- Data restoration, recovery, or replacement costs when data is damaged, corrupted, or destroyed as a direct result of a network security incident
- Income loss and business interruption expenses
- Ransom payments to persons reasonably believed to be responsible for a cyber extortion threat
- Brand loss: loss of net profit incurred as a direct result of a breach notification or adverse media report following a privacy/security breach
- Claims alleging negligent acts or errors in electronic or print media that results in infringement of copyright, trademark, domain name, or plagiarism
- Claims alleging liability for failure to prevent or hinder a privacy/security breach
- Investigations and other civil proceedings brought by government agencies for the enforcement of privacy regulations
- Written demands for assessments made by acquiring banks or credit card associations due to non-compliance
Contact us today. We are serious about data security and patient privacy. We can help you mitigate cyber security risks before they affect your practice.